Services for Students with Disabilities

Location Office of Counseling and Consultation Services
Clare Hall – first floor
Hours of operation Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Phone (317) 955-6150
Director Marj Batic, MS, LMHC
Administrative assistant Tara Sheringer

Students with disabilities

As a small, Catholic liberal arts institution that practices our Franciscan values by living them out every day, Marian University supports the academic and personal growth of students with disabilities.

Talk to us about services for students with documented disabilities. While we do not offer structured programs for students with specific disabilities, many students and families find our small size, individual attention, and academic accommodations an ideal resource for fostering student success.

Support services are offered at no additional cost. However, at times, if additional evaluation is required, a student may be referred to providers in the community. These costs would be at the student's/family's expense.

In collaboration with the university's Center for Academic Success and Engagement, Counseling and Consultation Services, and other academic/administrative units, we can arrange accommodative services and provide support for qualified students.


For students who wish to request academic accommodations, the first step is to complete the required Self-Disclosure form. As soon as you are committed to attending Marian University, submit the completed form to:

Marj Batic, MS
Director of Academic Support Services
Office of Counseling and Consultation Services, Clare Hall
Marian University
 3200 Cold Spring Road Indianapolis, IN 46222-1997
 You can mail, fax (317-955-6415) or scan and email the form to

Once your Self-Disclosure form is received and reviewed, the Director of Academic Support Services will let you know about the next steps, including official documentation required to determine your eligibility for accommodations. The document which accompanies this form provides an overview of the accommodative services Marian University can provide. More details can be provided upon request.

Although it is a good idea to submit the Self-Disclosure form before classes begin, you can disclose your disability to Academic Support Services at any time. The process to evaluate and establish accommodations takes time, however. We recommend you let us know about your needs sooner rather than later.

Per the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Marian University will take no action to establish accommodations unless you make a specific request for us to do so.

Eligibility for academic accommodations

If you request accommodations, current documentation of your disability must be provided. The documentation required is dependent on the nature of your disability, needs, and challenges. All documents must be completed, prepared, and signed by qualified, licensed professionals. Below are the basics of what is required. It is not all inclusive. More detailed information can be provided by the Director of Academic Support Services:

  • Students diagnosed with a learning disability or attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder must present a current diagnostic/psychoeducational evaluation completed within the last three years, if any previous testing was completed under the age of 18. The evaluation should include test results, DSM-V diagnoses, and specific recommendations supported by the testing results as they pertain to the academic environment.
  • Students who have incurred a head injury or other brain-based neurologic incident must present a current (within the past three years) full neuropsychological evaluation report, including test results, DSM-V diagnoses, and specific recommendations supported by the testing results as they pertain to the academic environment.
  • Students with physical disabilities must provide information regarding the diagnosis and symptoms of the disability, a listing of limitations (if any), current medications (if any) along with side effects that may impact academic performance, and specific recommendations regarding academic accommodations.
  • Students with psychiatric disabilities must provide documentation detailing the diagnosis (including DSM-V codes), history of the illness, current level of functioning, current medications (if any)  along with side effects that may impact academic performance. Recommended accommodations must specifically pertain to the diagnosis.

Once documentation is received, in collaboration with the student, reasonable and appropriate accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Marian University academic policy will be determined.

Common academic accommodations

A variety of academic accommodations and support services can be provided once eligibility for accommodations is determined.

  • Generally, most accommodations a student had in high school can be arranged at Marian University.
  • Reasonable and appropriate accommodations can be arranged according to the student's specific needs as delineated in the documentation. These may include: extended testing time, a reduced distraction testing environment, a reader for exams, note-takers in the classroom, arrangements to type essay exams vs. handwriting them, a paper copy of a computer based exam, etc.
  • Because some students with disabilities may require more time to complete the requirements for a major, academic advising can be tailored to the needs of these students. Our Director of Academic Support Services can join students during advising sessions, for example, to help choose a reasonable balance of courses for academic success.

For additional information on students in higher education one can review the Americans with Disabilities (ADA) web site.

Emotional support animals

Emotional Support Animal Policy

  • Application deadlines for emotional support animals
    • May 1st for returning students with new requests and those with previously approved animals*
      • *Requests must be made each academic year even if previously approved. 
    • July 1st for first year students and transfer students

Refer to the emotional support animal policy and/or contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life ( for more information.​

Can't Find What You're Looking For?

Search for it.